Saturday, September 28, 2013

Facebook and the English Language Whore

I’ve been giving a lot of thought about what it means to be an adult.  Justin tells me it’s about a savings account with more than $30 in it.  I think it’s about having a place to call your own, like a house or overpriced condo.  Then, another friend of mine posted this same question on her Facebook page.  Freaking Facebook.  Seriously.  People who scoff at it are now considered lame or anti-social and then there are those who abuse the crap out of it.  Some really great examples:

OMG I’m eating sushi!

My kid peed today, I’m a proud mama.

I’m in jail and trying not to freak out. 

 This is how I feel right now.... SLAP !

Not to mention the non-stop flood of people taking pictures of bread, pasta, fish or whatever else people eat these days.  Now that I am saying that I don’t care what people are eating or what their kids are doing- perhaps secretly we all do.  Isn’t the point of these websites to feel cool for about thirty seconds and to give quick updates on a massive scale to save time and hassle of making a real phone call?  How many times have I posted about floods in my city or coffee tragedies or political stuff?  That answer is a lot.  But do people respond to my posts?  No.  Do I respond to theirs?  Most of the time.  Am I feeling hurt and irrationally ignored?  Absolutely.  Is this unreasonable?  Yes, yes it is. 

Perhaps my favorite thing about Facebook is the psychological drama which comes with it.  Within a minute of meeting someone that you feel combatable with, someone will ask you if are on Facebook, or VK here in Russia.  I know Americans over use the word ‘friend’, we like to think everyone is our friend, it doesn’t matter that we just met in the bathroom of a night club or standing line at the supermarket; but here, in Siberia, people will ask me to friend them just because we met and I speak English.  It’s bad, even by American standards.  Why should I friend you on my social website when I don’t even know you?  And then the look they give you when you decline is even more priceless, you would think that you just killed their dog.  Does anyone remember the good ol’ days when people would have to sit down and write, and in, pen and paper, write real letters to each other?  I occasionally do this, and I really enjoy the process.  What I don’t enjoy is spending a few hours laboring over perfect penmanship, resisting the urge to add unnecessary smiley faces and ‘LOLs’, go through the torture of the Russian Post Office only to not have my letter or letters received.  Then it just makes me appreciate e-mails more. 

Returning to the subject at hand, almost on a daily basis, when young people ask me where I’m from and I tell them I’m American they will ask to be my friend on social media, not because they think I’m just that interesting or want to get to know me, no, they just want to say they know a native English speaker or they want to practice their English.  In situations like this, I can’t help but feel like an English language whore.

Person: “Um, I want, do I can practice English with you?”

Me: “Of course, it will cost you though.  It’s 1200 rubles to study with me.”

Person: “Oh it great!  I no want grammar though, just speaking”

Eye roll.  Sure, you just want to pay to listen to me, then give me money after I do all the work of desperately trying to understand you, pretend to care about microscopic progress and you give me money for no real reason.  Ew.  And at the end of the day, that’s what most ESL teachers feel like.  Going from house to house, or meeting in café’s or offices, it doesn’t matter, but you go, speak for an hour or so, and people give you money.  Your clients are always happy to see you, and you smile and give them what they want, English.  On a perverse level, at least in the darkness that is my mind it’s like a verbal blow job:

Person: “I very happy to see you!”

Me: “Thank you, but it’s ‘I’m very happy to see you.’”

Person: “Oh sorry (pronounced surry) I just happy to hear voice. 

Me: what an awkward thing to say, “okay, let’s get started.  Did you do your homework?”

Person: “Sorry, busy.  But I can to do it now.”


In my head I’m thinking, ‘sure you can, I mean, we’ve only been doing this for the theme for the past month, I’m so glad that I’m getting paid to do the same thing over and over and over again.  Sheez.  On the surface it sounds great!  No office politics, no nagging boss, no waking up at the crack of dawn and no taxes.  However, there’s not real stability, no real connection to people and real sense of accomplishment.  Perhaps I am over thinking and over analyzing this.  After all, how many professions allow you to show up wearing jeans, not pay taxes, and simply hire you based on your nationality?  It’s reverse racism at its best.             

No comments:

Post a Comment