Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sweet Nostalgia

Aw, Russia. How will I be able to cope with eating in a restaurant that won’t cost me an arm and a leg and I won’t be hungry afterward?   Where will the fun be when it comes to trying to buy shoes and only being served with the right shoe?  Or trying to go to the pool and won’t be hassled about the ‘health certificate’ or needing a meaningless swimming cap?

Speaking of swimming, in honor of my blog, I feel the need to readdress the swimming pool.  Due to my ever changing work schedule I had to let my toe pass expire, my toe pass is of course the health certificate people need in order to swim.  For my new readers, the ‘health certificate’ is deemed medically necessary before you can swim.  For the low price of 250 rubles ($7) you have to take off your shoes and socks and jacket (because heaven forbid anyone wear a jacket indoors) and show a doctor your feet, just to make sure you don’t have any funky foot fungus or anything.  Sure, this sounds all well and good, only the doctor is an old woman who can’t be bothered with standing up, let alone actually performing a real inspection.  Let me walk you through this: 1) take off socks and shoes before you enter the office 2) give her the receipt 3) at this point she will sigh heavily and put down her newspaper and glance in your direction and, then glance at your feet and then sign the small piece of paper.  Then you thank her for some crazy reason and put your shoes back on.  The whole experience takes less than one minute and you can’t help but feel ripped off and annoyed, what is the real point of that?  Would she even notice a foot condition if she even saw one?
After receiving my overpriced document I proceeded to the pool.  Happily it wasn’t too crowded, and the babushka population wasn’t as high as normal.  There’s nothing more annoying than trying to do laps around old women who are terrified of getting their hair wet because of the fear of ‘getting sick’.  If you’re that worried about it, then why are you here?  I’d much rather deal with kids splashing and screaming, but I cannot actually remember the last time I saw children at the pool.  Happily, the past few times I’ve gone to the pool I haven’t been lectured or pissed anyone off for no clear reason.  Perhaps this is because I’ve managed to blend in well enough so no one knows I’m American, which is a bit of a backhanded compliment. 


Addressing a topic I glossed over a paragraph ago, a subject which never gets old; the timeless experience of eating out.  Buffets are a dime a dozen here, but they aren’t quite the same as we are used to, you can order what you want, but someone else serves it, so it’s rather good portion control, however, what you get or pick is a gamble.  After months of overcooked buckwheat, over salted rice and over boiled pasta I had all but given up on the idea of lunch.  But then I found this amazing little place called ‘Soup Café’.  You can’t say there is any lack of imagination here.  I was so happy, a place which served not only soup which was hot, not lukewarm, but genuinely hot; but they also served unique soup, not just veggie broth and questionable borsht.  I was delighted to have pumpkin soup, along with spinach soup; but then, like all things, it came to an end.  They’ve been in ‘renovation’ and ‘revamping’ mode for months now.  Figures.  So I found myself depressed and without a place to unwind; so I had taken to just wandering around aimlessly either killing time before or after a class.  On Thursday I had more time to kill than I had anticipated so I dared to try a ‘stolovaya’ again (buffet/ cafeteria).  I was welcomed by the aroma of……boiled things!  Yea!  I spotted this questionable meat and vegetable dish and when I inquired as to what it was, I was told that it was pork with mayo and pickles.  Only in Russia would that seem like a totally normal combination.  Pork.  Mayonnaise.  Pickles.  That’s about three food groups right there!  I felt like walking on the wild side, so I tried it; after all, what kind of person would I be if I just criticized something without trying it?  I have to admit, it wasn’t terrible.  It wasn’t great, but it was edible.  

Changing the topic, I’ve forgotten to address the nightlife in this fair city.  Every city can try to boast about a great nightlife, but nothing puzzles me more than when it’s 3am on a Tuesday and I will see hoards of people wandering around or driving around.  Seriously, where is everyone going!?  Chances are, they either going home or club hopping.  I’ve never fully adapted to the idea of leaving my house at midnight because nothing cool is happening until one in the morning.  It doesn’t matter where you are: Moscow, St. Petersburg, Novosibirsk, Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk, etc the part doesn’t get started until midnight.  And then party really gets in full swing between the hours of 2am and 5am.  When Gabi and I were in Krasnoyarsk, she had made reservations for us at a club called Koloradiski Papa, and when we arrived at 12:30 the place was just beginning to fill up.  There are a few guidelines when it comes to Russian night clubs:
1)      Dress to impress (if you’re a girl, if you’re a guy, it’s totally cool to look as if you just rolled out of bed or got hit by a garbage truck)
2)      Be prepared for a long of drinking. Shots are a common thing, but it’s more common to order a shot, then some juice and sip on both. 
3)      Be prepared to eat.  Russians are the biggest fans of snacking on pickles, pickled mushrooms and or croutons (syharniki)
4)      Don’t try and be cool and freak dance, everyone will think you are strange
Overall, clubs are clubs.  Loud music, too much cigarette smoke, overpriced alcohol…wait…loud music.  In any given night, in any given Russian club you can hear: American pop music, this isn’t a surprise but it can get annoying, we are in Russia after all, but then there’s OLD American music, I’m talking Elvis, but perhaps I should use a better adjective such as classic or timeless.  It’s just a bit much to handle when you’ve been dancing your heart out to LMFAO and then hear Elvis.  Following Elvis, you’ll hear some Michael Jackson, then just for good measure, the theme to Super Mario Brothers.  Yes, the game soundtrack to Super Mario.  And if that isn’t confusing enough, they will mix in folk Russian music, which is a nice change but considering everything you just heard prior…well, after a while, you just go with it.  Then they will top it off with a good dose of Russian rap.  This is why people drink so much.  It’s as if the DJ were having a musical seizure or major ear spasm. 






No comments:

Post a Comment